We've got news for you.

Register on SowetanLIVE at no cost to receive newsletters, read exclusive articles & more.
Register now

Leratong mom stabbed to death

A mother of two was stabbed to death by her partner on Thursday
A mother of two was stabbed to death by her partner on Thursday
Image: 123RF/ lculig

A West Rand man allegedly killed himself by ingesting poison after brutally stabbing to death the mother of his two children and stuffing her body under a bed.

Khethiwe Mosweu was allegedly killed by Thabiso Hlabahlaba in their Leratong village home on Thursday.

Hlabahlaba then allegedly committed suicide by ingesting poison. He died at Leratong Hospital two days after Mosweu's death.

A neighbour, who asked not to be named, described Mosweu's last moments alive before she was stabbed.

The neighbour told Sowetan he also saw Hlabahlaba walking out of the shack he shared with Mosweu with his shirt covered with blood.

Police found Mosweu in a pool of blood.

"I heard the pair arguing. It went on for about an hour and things got louder then all of a sudden it was dead quiet," the neighbour said. "I peeped through my window and I saw Thabiso walking out the shack into the main house with blood stains on his shirt."

The neighbour said he immediately called the police who made the grisly discovery.

"We found the door locked and peeped through the window and saw Khethiwe's legs protruding from under the bed. The police broke down the door and found her under the bed. Police then went into the house and found Thabiso lying on a bed.

"He did not look good at all but they arrested him and that was the last time I saw him."

Mahlomola Hlabahlaba, Thabiso's brother, refused to speak to Sowetan, while Mosweu's family could not be traced.

Themba Ngobese, another neighbour who knew the couple for five years, said they were shocked.

"They were a happy couple. I certainly have never seen them arguing or fighting and I was shocked when I heard about the incident. Khethi was a wonderful person. You would never find her upset. She was always smiling and she loved her children," Ngobese said.

Police spokesperson Capt Solomon Sibiya said they were investigating a case of murder and an inquest was also opened to determine the cause of Hlabahlaba's death.

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.