SABC interim board says local content policy must go
Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s imposition of a 90% local content policy has cost the South African Broadcasting Corporation more than R200 million.
The SABC’s interim board told Parliament on Monday that the state broadcaster was facing a multiplicity of crises‚ including cash liquidity problems‚ a loss of credibility and audience.
This was revealed by the deputy chair of the board‚ Mathatha Tsedu‚ in a briefing to the Portfolio Committee on Communications.
Tsedu said the interim board had drafted a recovery plan that included a proposal to reverse Motsoeneng’s content policy which had seen a drop in audience numbers and advertising.
“The plan includes a proposal to reverse the 90/10 music policy‚ which has cost SABC radio R29 million and television R183 million. It also proposes the redrafting of the entity’s corporate plan‚” he said.
The interim board’s work had been made difficult‚ he added‚ by former Minister of Communications‚ Faith Muthambi‚ and some SABC staff members.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.