ANC says next steps depend on 'conscience' of drunk driver Yengeni
The ANC integrity commission has let national executive committee member Tony Yengeni off the hook after his drink-driving conviction.
Commission chairman Andrew Mlangeni said Yengeni had received a warning after he was charged‚ but no further action would be taken after his conviction last week in the Cape Town Regional Court.
Yengeni was arrested in Green Point in 2013 while five times over the legal alcohol limit. Throughout his case‚ he argued that his arrest and prosecution were politically motivated and he had had only two sips of traditional African beer.
Mlangeni on Tuesday said: “He has appeared before us in the past ... but we are not going to ask him to appear again. We are leaving it to the leadership of the ANC to do whatever they want to do.”
He said the commission would intervene only if asked to do so by the party leadership.
The commission is empowered to summon anyone whose conduct might be regarded as having brought the party into disrepute. It has so far called powerful leaders‚ including suspended Western Cape chairman Marius Fransman and even President Jacob Zuma.
Last week‚ party secretary-general Gwede Mantashe said he would not comment until the leadership had discussed the matter with Yengeni‚ and spokesman Zizi Kodwa said on Monday the meeting had not yet taken place. Once it had‚ a report would be sent to the NEC.
“It’s best when the leadership sits with Tony and understands‚ as a leader of the ANC‚ what does he think. What does his conscience tell him? That’s what the discussion will be about‚” he added.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.