Gauteng launches online school registration
Gauteng’s Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi started the first day of the switch to online registrations online.
From Monday‚ parents of children due to start Grade 1 or high school next year in the province will have to register their children online to secure a place.
Lesufi used his Twitter account — ?@Lesufi — to field questions from nervy parents‚ like Bongi Mogale @Bongi43 who tweeted: @EducationGP @Lesufi system error for 2017 applications. Please sort out”‚ to which he replied: “We are officially going live after 8am”.
The department said it had switched to online applications “to enable planning and fair distribution of pupils“.
Certain schools are oversubscribed and parents compete fiercely for places for their children.
This was what concerned Palesa Tukishi @–QueenTukishi‚ who asked: “Mr @Lesufi what must i do when the school says they can’t admit my child it happened last yr”‚ which the MEC said: “This time it will be without human influence”.
After registration‚ parents will receive an SMS confirming their application and then have two weeks‚ from Monday next week‚ to apply at the school in person.
The department won the right in the high court last year to have the final say on how many and which children are placed in a school‚ in consultation with the school’s governing body.
From Tuesday next week parents will have to apply for a place for their child at a school near their workplace or home after online registration.
Parents will have to bring their ID‚ the child’s birth certificate and proof of their work or home address to the school.
The department of education will provide registration facilities in areas in which parents are unlikely to have access.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.