Keep your rubbish bins outside - Pikitup is activating cleaning crews
Pikitup‚ the City of Johannesburg’s waste management entity‚ said on Thursday it is intensifying its contingency measures to counter the effects of the waste collection service disruptions‚ despite intimidation by some striking workers.
This comes as Pikitup striking employees — affiliated to the South African Municipal Workers Union — marched through the streets of Johannesburg despite a court interdict.
The latest unprotected strike was the fourth since a deal was struck late last year to address grievances over alleged salary disparities within the entity.
“Residents and business owners are urged to keep bins and excess waste outside their properties to ensure that waste is collected through the contingency measures put in place. It is important to note that in certain instances collection is done during the night and may continue throughout the week until normal services resume‚” said Jacky Mashapu‚ Pikitup’s spokesperson.
He appealed to communities to work in solidarity with the utility in order to ensure the safety of the third party contractors.
Mashapu also urged residents and business owners to recycle their waste in order to reduce the waste going to the landfill sites and where possible to drop off their waste at their nearest garden refuse sites.
According to Mashapu‚ bulky waste service will not be offered at this stage.
Felix Radzilani‚ chairperson of Samwu shop stewards at Pikitup — accompanied by thousands of Samwu members — last week submitted a memorandum of demands at the office of the newly appointed Human Settlements MEC Paul Mashatile‚ as well as Mayor Park Tau and Gauteng premier David Makhura’s offices.
Pikitup’s contingency measures:
- Waste is being collected from the municipal clinics and hospitals‚ and from some of bulk customers.
- The Dailies service is currently only taking place on a periodic basis.
- Decanting of all the Garden Sites is currently taking place.
- Commercial customers are asked to liaise with their customer service consultants to schedule emergency collection.
- Collection of recyclable materials continues in participating areas.
Areas where refuse is not being collected as a result of intimidation:
* Northern areas: Ivory Park‚ Diepsloot and parts of Alexandra
* Central areas: Parts of Doornfontein including Hostels in the inner city CBD
* Southern areas:
Central Camp Depot: Orlando East‚ Meadowlands‚ The exit from Goudkoppies and Diepkloof.
Zondi Depot: Zola‚ Protea North‚ Mndeni‚ Dobsonville and Mapetla.
Southdale Depot: Mangololo‚ George Goch and Denver.
Roodepoort Depot: Zamimpilo‚ Slovo and Kathrada.
Waterval Depot: Westbury and Riverlea.
Avalon Depot: Freedom Park‚ Lehae‚ Lenasia South and Lawley.