Grayston bridge collapse inquiry begins next week

Ememrgency personnel at the accident scene after the collapse of a temporary pedestrian bridge next to Grayston Drive onto the M1 highway. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Ememrgency personnel at the accident scene after the collapse of a temporary pedestrian bridge next to Grayston Drive onto the M1 highway. Picture Credit: Gallo Images

The inquiry to the collapse of the Grayston Drive pedestrian bridge, which killed two people, will begin next week, the labour department said on Thursday.

The first session on Tuesday would allow those involved in the project – construction company Murray & Roberts, scaffolding supplier Form Scaff, and engineering consultancy firm Royal Haskoning DHV - to outline their involvement in the project, it said in a statement.

No witnesses would be called yet.

The bridge over the M1 at Grayston Drive, which was still under construction, collapsed at 15:30 on Wednesday, October 14. The driver of a minibus taxi and a man in a Toyota Fortuner were killed. Nineteen people were injured, three of them critically.

Murray & Roberts had appointed technical, engineering, legal and forensic specialists to investigate the collapse.

The labour department, City of Johannesburg, and police were undertaking their own investigations.

The labour department’s chief inspector Tibor Szana said in October last year that the inquiry was intended to be a neutral forum that would gather evidence. This would be presented to the National Prosecuting Authority for a decision on whether someone could be criminally charged.

 

Source: News24

 

X