Cops arrest suspect after child’s body found
A 10-year-old boy from Ngcobo who was snatched on Sunday while bird-hunting with friends has been found dead‚ and a 25-year-old suspect arrested following his death.
The boy’s body was found after an intensive search-and-rescue operation launched by police at Mnyolo plantation.
The death of Msindisi Mzolisa‚ from Zabasa Village‚ left hundreds of residents devastated after they had joined a large contingent of police officers from Mthatha‚ Ngcobo‚ Dalasile and two large search-and-rescue dog units from Queenstown and East London in the search.
Mzolisa was found with his throat slit.
Two of his friends have also been left traumatised after a “panga-wielding” man allegedly threatened to kill them on Sunday around midday.
Immediately after the news spread through the village on Sunday‚ residents conducted a search.
They were later joined by police officers and at least one sniffer dog.
The search ended late at night and resumed again on Monday morning around 6am.
Family member Mluleki Mzolisa told the Daily Dispatch on Monday that the parents of the child were devastated by his disappearance.
He was speaking to the newspaper hours before the body of the child was recovered.
A 25-year-old suspect was arrested at around 1pm on Monday and Fatyela said the man had pointed out to police the spot where the child was found in the forest‚ close to a river.
He said the police were now investigating a case of murder.
“We arrested him and are not sure as to when he will appear in court‚” Fatyela said.
Msindisi’s disappearance has brought the total number of children abducted in the province this month to three.
The Hawks are still searching for two missing East London children who were alleged to have been kidnapped by their nannies.
“No new information is coming in‚ its still quiet.
“The investigations continue‚” said Hawks national spokesman Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi.
Earlier this month‚ 18-month-old Nelson Mayekiso was reported missing at the Beacon Bay police station after his nanny‚ only known as Nosiyoyo‚ allegedly disappeared with him.
Apparently Nosiyoyo was involved with a dispute with the child’s father and demanded R1500 be paid to her before she released the child.
A second incident happened the same week when a three-year-old child was allegedly kidnapped by a nanny believed to be from Mozambique.
The nanny is believed to be asking for a ransom of R500000.
Both cases are now being investigated by the Hawks.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.