Child dies after eating chicken meat

A child died after eating chicken meat in Ottosdal, the North West health department said on Wednesday.

The child died on Friday, and a number of children were treated at a clinic for food poisoning, spokesman Tebogo Lekgethwane said.

They had apparently eaten chicken meat dumped by a farmer.

"Of all the children treated in Ottosdal, one child sadly passed away. The department is still investigating the death," he said.

After being taken to the clinic, six of the children were transferred to the Klerksdorp Hospital.

Keitumetse Mathiba, three, and Sandile Mpisa, seven, were subsequently discharged. Kelebogile Machuisa, eight, and Eva Machuisa, 11, were still being treated for abdominal cramps and diarrhoea. Johannes Medupe, 13, and Aaron Lebusa, seven, were recovering and would be sent home soon.

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

X