COMMUNICATIONS Minister Siphiwe Nyanda will meet the SABC board soon to discuss group chief executive officer Solly Mokoetle's suspension and other developments at the public broadcaster.
Nyanda's spokesperson Tiyani Rikhotso yesterday said Nyanda would not intervene unless he was asked to by the board.
"SABC employment issues are the responsibility of the board and not the minister. He has no reason to intervene," Rikhotso said.
"He will meet the board on a date not yet set to discuss the current situation and to look at the way forward."
Mokoetle was suspended on Friday, a day after the board met and concluded that "it would be in the best interests of both the SABC and the GCEO that he be suspended".
Mokoetle has been at loggerheads with the board about the appointment of Phil Molefe in May as head of news.
Molefe's appointment, later nullified, sparked anger after board chairperson Ben Ngubane and Mokoetle made the decision without consulting other board members.
SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said yesterday: "I do not know if charges have been put to him. Remember, he was suspended on Friday and today is Monday."
Mokoetle's attorney, Jurgens Bekker, said his client had been responsible for turning the SABC's fortunes around with a R100million profit recorded.
Meanwhile, Communication Workers Union national spokesperson Matankana Mothapo said: "Solly Mokoetle and Dr Ben Ngubane have been running the SABC like an unlicensed establishment.
"The problem at the SABC is its GCEO and chairperson - and now of late, the head of news (Phil Molefe), who was appointed under dubious circumstances and had his salary increased abnormally."