World Cup courts handle 52 cases
FIFTY-TWO cases have been heard in the specialised World Cup courts across the country.
Department of Justice spokesperson Tlali Tlali, pictured, said 25 of the cases had been finalised.
The cases include those heard from May 28 to June 17.
"Twenty-two were convictions. The sentences vary from direct imprisonment or imprisonment with an option of a fine.
"Two were withdrawn due to lack of evidence. One was an acquittal," Tlali said.
He said 24 of the cases were heard in Gauteng, 13 in Western Cape, five in Limpopo, four in Mpumalanga and three for KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape.
"No report had been received from the Free State, North West and Northern Cape by the time the report was compiled on Thursday," said Tlali.
On Tuesday night, Pretoria resident Johan Nel was found guilty of fraud. He was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment without the option of a fine by the Pretoria magistrate's court .
Nel was found guilty of defrauding a US citizen who is in the country for the Fifa World Cup. He told the tourist, who wanted to go to the Kruger National Park, that he owned a car rental service and demanded R1271 for the car. The money was deposited into his wife's account, but the vehicle was never delivered. Nel has nine other fraud-related convictions dating back to February 2010.
Among those still to be tried is South African Football Association employee Bongani Sithole who is facing a fraud charge.
Sithole is out on bail of R15000.
He was arrested on Youth Day and charged with fraud after allegedly reselling two complimentary tickets to an Irish supporter during the match between South Africa and Uruguay at Loftus Versveld in Pretoria.
There are 56 courts around the country.