Three cops to face theft, attempted murder raps
THE wheels of justice are turning slowly for a Cape Town man who was allegedly shot and robbed by five police officers in a midnight attack on his home.
Nicholas Shoko, of Wallacedene in Cape Town, was sleeping in his house on December 31 last year when he heard people kicking in his front door. Suspecting them to be thugs, Shoko tried to keep the door closed.
"But then they started shooting and hit me in the hand," he said.
When the men burst in, he was shocked to see they were police.
"They forced me and three other people in the house to lie down. They stood on my shoulders and asked me where Ayanda was. When we told them there was no Ayanda, they demanded drugs and guns.
"They searched our rooms and stole R2650. By this time, there was blood all over. They told me to go bleed in the sink," said Shoko.
Police dropped him at Kraaifontein clinic. Sowetan has seen a medical referral letter from the clinic confirming that Shoko had indeed been shot.
Shoko reported the attack the next day to an Inspector van Reenen, who picked him up on April 15 and took him to "a police court" for a hearing. But nothing happened after that, said Shoko, a Zimbabwean national.
Captain Frederick van Wyk, Western Cape police media officer, confirmed that three permanent police members and two reservists were implicated in a criminal case of attempted murder, assault and theft. The three SAPS officers had been suspended. They will appear again in the Blue Downs magistrate's court on July 2.