'Ex-wife killed my niece to get back at me'

THE uncle of a seven-year-old girl who was murdered in 2008 has claimed that his ex-wife had killed his niece to get back at him following their separation.

Kagiso Molefi told the Vereeniging circuit court yesterday that he had marital problems with Sizakele Khambule a year before his niece Polokego was killed.

Polokego's body was found floating in a dam a day after she was kidnapped from school on May 28 2008.

Khambule has pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and killing Polokego while her co-accused, Zanele Bembe, who pleaded guilty to the charges, was sentenced to 15 years in jail last September.

"We separated on December 17 2007, and she took me to court demanding R3000 maintenance for my child every month. I was ordered to pay R600 by the maintenance officer. I abided by the court orders.

"My ex-wife later approached me saying we should reconcile, but I refused," said Molefi.

"One day she called and threatened that she would hurt me badly. She sounded aggressive on the phone."

Khambule is out on R5000 bail.

Two state witnesses had testified that on the day in question, they saw Khambule and another woman leaving with Polokego from school - the same day she was reported missing.

Mapitso Mareletse and Malerato Leema said they were outside Bulatsela Primary School in Sebokeng, Vaal, on the day the child was reported missing.

Mareletse said she knew Polokego because the girl used to buy sweets at her stall outside the school premises.

"On that day, Khambule and another woman waited outside the school gate before the school was dismissed. She called Polokego, and the child went to her. They hugged and Khambule carried her school bag. They then left in the opposite direction to where the child stayed," said Mareletse.

She said the school did not allow parents to wait outside the premises for their children.

"The principal had strict rules that parents should fetch their children from their classrooms. But on that day, the two women waited outside the school, which was unusual to me,"

Mareletse said

The trial continues today.