varsity closed after violence

Problems continued at the troubled Durban University of Technology after the institution was provisionally closed following violence yesterday.

Sixty-two students were arrested and charged with public violence after clashing with heavily armed police and security personnel at the Durban campus. They were arrested for public violence.

One student was also injured.

Netcare 911's Jeffrey Wicks said the injured student was treated on the scene and taken to hospital for further care.

"The students went on the rampage, throwing stones at police vehicles. A policeman was injured. The students face charges of public violence," Superintendent Vincent Mdunge said.

University property was vandalised and some cars belonging to staff damaged, Mdunge said.

He said the police were called in to monitor the situation and apprehend troublemakers.

"The arrested students were to have appeared in court late yesterday on charges of public violence," Mdunge said.

The students will now appear in the Durban magistrate's court today.

The institution has vowed to take disciplinary action against those who vandalise property.

The strike resumed though the student representative council members of the DUT were served with a court interdict on Friday.

The interdict states that SRC members should not interrupt any academic procedures and will have to appear at the Durban high court on May 7 to appeal the decision.

SRC spokesperson Sicelo Mabizela said the organisation would meet to discuss a way forward after the interdict.

South African Student Organisation (Sasco) provincial spokesperson Sandile Phakathi said the interdict served on SRC members was an act of "cowardice".

Phakathi criticised the institution for "failing to address the students' grievances" and called on Sasco members to fill the shoes of the banned SRC members.

Phakathi said: "If ever there was a time to render DUT ungovernable, it is now."

In a statement the university's acting vice chancellor, Nqabomzi Gawe, said all campuses would be closed for the day.

"All staff and students are to return tomorrow, March 24, unless otherwise advised, when all academic activities and operations will resume," Gawe said.