Accused 'safety is not guaranteed'
MOLEMO "Jub Jub" Maarohanye and Themba Tshabalala will be killed if released on bail.
This is what three state witnesses told the Protea magistrate's court yesterday during the two men's bail application.
"The community is shocked and outraged," said investigating officer Inspector Mpho Matshidisho.
He told the court that the community was angry at the way the incident occurred.
"One of the eye-witnesses told me that members of the community wanted to assault Tshabalala at the accident scene. Their safety is not guaranteed," Matshidisho said.
He said Jub Jub tested positive for cocaine and morphine but negative for alcohol.
Tshabalala tested positive for alcohol. His alcohol level in blood was 0.40 mg-100ml.
Jub Jub and Tshabalala were dicing last week Monday afternoon in Mdlalose Street when they ploughed into seven schoolchildren who were walking home.
Four of the boys, Andile Mthombeni, Prince Mohube, Mlungisi Cwayi and Phomello Masemola were killed.
Soweto cluster chairperson of community policing forum Mandla Gasa said residents have threatened to burn shops belonging to Jub Jub's parents.
"They said they will take the law into their own hands if the accused are released on bail," he said.
Another CPF member Monty Mbatha said residents' threats should not be taken lightly because "they can execute these threats".
Jub Jub's lawyer Ike Motloung lashed out at the reporting in the media, accusing it of "fuelling anger in the community".
Motloung said the sole purpose of Gasa and Mbatha for coming to court was to threaten the court.
"You tell us that there is a lynch mob out there demanding that the accused not be granted bail or else they will be killed," he said.
National prosecuting authority boss Menzi Simelane attended the hearing.
NPA spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said there was nothing wrong with Simelane's presence.