Blast spoils it for Pakistan

KARACHI - Pakistan's Tennis Federation has given up hope of hosting its Davis Cup tie against New Zealand in July after Friday's suicide bomb attacks in Lahore.

KARACHI - Pakistan's Tennis Federation has given up hope of hosting its Davis Cup tie against New Zealand in July after Friday's suicide bomb attacks in Lahore.

Pakistan has been hit by a series of militant attacks, including the ambush of the Sri Lanka cricket team's bus last year, leading to the cancellation of several sporting events in the country.

PTF president Dilawar Abbas told Reuters he saw little chance of the International Tennis Federation agreeing to allow Pakistan to host the Asia/Oceania Group II semi-final in Lahore in July.

"We had sent a letter to the ITF pressing them to allow us to host the tie on schedule as it is imperative for Pakistan tennis to play international ties at home," Abbas said.

"But now while we are waiting for a response there is no doubt the situation has changed after the Lahore blasts." Two suicide bombers targeting the Pakistani military killed at least 45 people in Lahore on Friday.

The ITF has already moved Davis Cup ties against Oman and Hong Kong out of Pakistan since last year after these nations refused to play in the country. - Reuters

X