Court KOs Bruwer bid

Daniel Bruwer right celebrate after stopping Anthony Van Niekerk during their SA Lightheavyweight title 12 rounds at Emperors Palace. Bruwer won the fight on TKO in the fith round. Pic :Tsheko Kabasia. 05/03/2010. © SUNDAY WORLD
Daniel Bruwer right celebrate after stopping Anthony Van Niekerk during their SA Lightheavyweight title 12 rounds at Emperors Palace. Bruwer won the fight on TKO in the fith round. Pic :Tsheko Kabasia. 05/03/2010. © SUNDAY WORLD

THE South Gauteng high court has ruled in favour of promoter Branco Milenkovic's Branco Sports Productions (BSP) in its contractual dispute with boxer Daniel Bruwer.

Bruwer's advisers had sought legal intervention to try to free their charge from a two-year contract he signed with BSP on July 31 2009.

Bruwer and his lawyer, Stan Fanaroff, allegedly claimed that Boxing SA's contract was not valid, but the high court ruled in favour of BSP and made it clear that "Billy The Kid" Bruwer can only fight in tournaments organised by BSP.

Boxing SA was the second defendant in the case.

Milenkovic told Sowetan yesterday that Bruwer had accepted the ruling but had stated that they would challenge the decision "with the oral evidence" at a later stage.

But Milenkovic said Fanaroff and Bruwer later had a change of heart .

"They sent a letter to Phillip Silver and Associates, who represented BSP, on Thursday last week informing them that they withdrew all the charges against BSP with costs," Milenkovic said.

Boxing SA acting chief executive Loyiso Mtya said he was aware of the high court's ruling and the U-turn made by both Bruwer and his lawyer.

Milenkovic promised to honour his contract with Bruwer though he was not happy about Bruwer's behaviour over the past eight months, considering his failure to pitch for a fight in September.

Bruwer, then under trainer Nick Durandt, was to fight Alex Mbaya for the World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Africa cruiserweight title in a BSP tournament but Bruwer did not pitch up for the weigh-in.

"He begged me for that fight because he had been without a fight for almost a year. It's obvious he was misled by his advisers. At the end of it all he is the one to suffer the consequences," Milenkovic said.

Bruwer, who left Durandt for Harold Volbrecht, has not seen action for almost two years and Boxing SA stripped him of its national light heavyweight title.

X