Ex-SABC head 'will still face DC action'

THE SABC will continue with the disciplinary action against itsformer head of content Mvuzo Mbebe although he has since left the public broadcaster.

THE SABC will continue with the disciplinary action against itsformer head of content Mvuzo Mbebe although he has since left the public broadcaster.

Mbebe's five-year contract ended on Sunday, but the SABC says the disciplinary action will continue.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said yesterday: "His contract has expired and was not renewed, but there is still disciplinary action against him."

Mbebe and three other executives were suspended by the interim board in October last year pending an outcome of internal disciplinary processes arising from investigations conducted by the auditor-general and other parties.

He was suspended together with chief financial officer Robin Nicholson, head of audience services Anton Heunis and head of group procurement Mabela Sathekge.

But Mbebe's lawyer Siyabonga Mpontshana said yesterday they would challenge in court the SABC's decision to continue with the disciplinary action against him.

"I have been representing him during the disciplinary action. The SABC is responsible for the delays."

Mpontshana said they would launch an urgent application in court to stop the disciplinary action.

Meanwhile, Mbebe said he was taking a short break between jobs.

He said he was currently volunteering in a number of projects, including sports, to keep himself busy.

Mbebe is also former CEO of the National Sports Council.

X