faulty kettle kills four-year-old girl

MANDISA Zuma, a four-year-old girl, was allegedly electrocuted by a faulty electric kettle on Tuesday night.

Police spokesperson Inspector Joey Jeevan said police received a report about the death at the Embalenhle Clinic in the Plessislaer area of Pietermaritzburg.

"On arrival at the clinic the police established that Mandisa Zuma had allegedly been electrocuted," Jeevan said.

"Investigations on the scene established that the girl was with her mother at their home in the Imbali area. It is said she grabbed an electric kettle and was electrocuted.

"The child was immediately taken to the Embalenhle Clinic where she subsequently died."

The circumstances surrounding Mandisa's death were being investigated, though police believe the kettle had an electrical fault.

Jeevan said a postmortem would be conducted to determine the exact cause of death.

The police have appealed to parents to keep a careful watch over their children during the festive season.

On Monday a five-year-old toddler from Northdale in Pietermaritzburg tragically lost his life when he accidentally hanged himself with a tie.

In another incident an eight-year-old girl died of what is believed to have been food poisoning on Tuesday night.

The incident happened at Impande in Taylor's Halt, outside Pietermaritzburg.

Jeevan said when the police arrived they found Samukelisiwe Mtolo lying on the floor.

"Initial investigations established that the Mtolo family had had lunch together at home on Sunday and afterwards became ill, resulting in diarrhoea and vomiting.

The family sought medication but at about 8pm on Tuesday Samukelisiwe began experiencing excruciating pains before collapsing.

"Paramedics were summoned and they certified her dead," Jeevan said.

A postmortem will be conducted and the incident is being investigated. An inquest into her death will be held.

Meanwhile, a man died and his partner was critically injured yesterday in a domestic violence-related incident in Escombe outside Durban.

ER24 spokesperson Derrick Banks said emergency workers found a 45-year-old woman lying in a pool of blood inside a house with a gunshot wound to the head.

"Advanced life support intervention had to be performed on her before she was taken to the Life Entabeni Hospital in a critical condition," Banks said.

A man, believed to be the woman's partner, was found dead in a vehicle parked on the road close to the house.