two die in crashes

A FEMALE motorist died and a biker was seriously injured in accidents in KwaZulu-Natal yesterday morning, Netcare 911 said.

Spokesperson Jeff Wicks said paramedics arrived at an accident scene to find two vehicles wedged against each other after colliding head-on in Stella Road, Malvern.

In a separate accident, a motorcyclist fell on the N3 to Durban near the Shongweni turn-off.

Yesterday's accidents came in the wake of the death of a man and injuries to 20 other people in six separate accidents in KwaZulu-Natal between Friday and Saturday.

The man died after he was run over by several vehicles on Saturday night while trying to cross the N3 freeway near Ashburton, Wicks said.

"He was found dead on the roadway," he said.

In another accident on Saturday afternoon, a motorcyclist sustained head injuries after a car beat a red robot and smashed into him at the Umbilo and Willowvale intersection in Durban.

"He was flung from the motorcycle and sustained serious injuries. He was taken to King EdwardHospital," said Wicks.

A further 14 passengers were also injured when their taxi overturned on the same freeway. The injured were taken to Northdale Hospital.

Two more people were injured on Saturday when a bakkie and a sedan collided. Wicks said the driver of the sedan was seriously injured, while the driver of the bakkie suffered minor injuries.

Meanwhile on Friday, a woman was seriously injured when her Toyota Tazz collided with another car on the M7 Edwin Swales Drive slipway on the N2 South.

"The driver of the Tazz was seriously injured. She was extricated by Netcare 911 members," Wicks said.

The woman was taken to Saint Augustine's Hospital and the other driver refused medical attention.

Later on Friday, two other people sustained serious injuries when two vehicles collided on the R61 Glenmore slipway on the South Coast.

"It is alleged that the driver of a light motor vehicle had been joining the R61 when a bakkie carrying building materials slammed into her car. Both patients are in a serious but stable condition in hospital," Wicks said. - Sapa