Mall safety drive goes on

A SAFETY initiative rolled out at shopping malls around Gauteng at the weekend will continue until Sunday, the City of Johannesburg said in a statement yesterday.

A SAFETY initiative rolled out at shopping malls around Gauteng at the weekend will continue until Sunday, the City of Johannesburg said in a statement yesterday.

The 10-day campaign started at Southgate, moved to Northgate and will continue at the Carlton Centre, Jabulani Mall, Oriental Plaza and Maponya Mall until Sunday, the city said.

So far, it has educated people about firearm use, alcohol and drug abuse, road safety, traffic offences and by-law enforcement. The campaign has involved SAPS, Johannesburg metro police and emergency management services.

Praising the campaign, which was launched following a spate of criminal attacks at Gauteng shopping centres, police spokesperson Captain John Maluleke said the police presence in malls was deterring criminals.

Project leader Lorraine Mokgobi said a large number of visitors to police stalls was encouraging and enabled police to give the public information specific to their areas. - Sapa

X