Cosafa chance for NFD

SOUTH Africa will once again call on National First Division players to defend its Cosafa Cup title.

SOUTH Africa will once again call on National First Division players to defend its Cosafa Cup title.

Premier Soccer League general manager Ace Ncobo said yesterday that although no announcement has been made yet, he did not see PSL players being called up for this tournament since the competition falls outside the official Fifa calendar dates.

Former Bloemfontein Celtic coach Khabo Zondo and Simon Ngomane, who worked as Mamelodi Sundowns assistant coach, are in charge of the Cosafa squad that is a national development side. The squad is widely known as Amabinneplaas.

"Of course, the matter boils down to each individual PSL club. It will be up to them to decide to release a player if the coaches were to call him up. But it is difficult to know as the coaches have not informed us yet about which players they would like to have. As soon as they have done that, we will write to the relevant clubs," Ncobo said.

The tournament will take place from October 17 to November 1 in Harare and Bulawayo in Zimbabwe.

South Africa has won this tournament three times, including last year when they lifted the trophy in Bloemfontein with Under-20 coach Serame Letsoaka in charge.

Having received a bye in the first round, the South Africans will meet Angola only in the last eight leg of the competition.

The competition's sponsors have announced the prize money for the individual awards at the tournament. The top scorer and top goalkeeper awards carry a $1000 (R7460) prize, while the player of the tournament will take home $1500 (R11190).

X