"YOU will find my dead body in the bush."

This is the message left for a mother of two by her live-in lover, Hlomendlini Chiliza, a day before he committed suicide by hanging himself and his two children.

The incident is believed to have taken place on Tuesday.

Chiliza, 38, of Eshowe, took the children, Senamiso, 7 and Wandile Chiliza, 5, from their aunt's home on Monday afternoon.

He pretended that he was going home for a ceremony with the two children.

They were all found dead the following day.

Chiliza had tied Senamiso to his left and Wandile to his right arm before hanging himself from a tree.

The children were staying with their aunt in Dokodweni, while Chiliza lived in Durban with their mother.

Chiliza's sister, Phendukile Mfeka said that she was not at home when her brother arrived and took the children.

"The children were staying with me," Mfeka said. "He showed up on Monday morning and asked for Senamiso, but she was at school and he left without her.

"He returned later and took both children with him. That was the last time I saw them alive."

Mfeka said the family was still shocked about the way he had decided to take his life.

"I don't know what went on in his head," she said.

Mfeka said from what the children's mother told her, Chiliza was very abusive towards her.

"They have been together for 10 years and this resulted in my developing a very close relationship with my sister-in-law," she said.

"She complained to me that my brother was abusing her physically and emotionally.

"He assaulted her and she had thought about laying charges against him. In the end she only went to court to apply for a protection order against him, which was granted."

Mfeka said from what the children's mother told her the protection order drove him crazy.

"She said since the protection order was issued against him he was not himself," she said.

Mfeka said the family had no money to bury the three.

Eshowe police spokesperson Inspector Mbongeni Mdlalose said they suspected that Chiliza had tied both children to his arms.

"The children were tied by their necks to his arms with string," he said.

"It looked as if he had then climbed into a tree and jumped."

He said Senamiso was a Grade 1 pupil at Dokodweni Primary School and Wandile was in Grade R at Thekelimfundo Primary School, also in Gingindlovu.