Swine flu fear for 2010

GENEVA - The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it is discussing with South Africa possible measures at next year's World Cup to protect football fans from swine flu.

GENEVA - The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it is discussing with South Africa possible measures at next year's World Cup to protect football fans from swine flu.

Spokesperson Aphaluck Bhatiasevi says WHO has been speaking to governments hosting mass gatherings such as sports tournaments and music concerts.

She said yesterday that WHO was engaged in "ongoing discussions" with South Africa to ensure that it is prepared for any outbreak during the World Cup. She declined to elaborate or say if the agency could recommend holding matches in empty stadiums.

WHO said last week that countries could consider closing schools to slow the spread of the virus that has killed more than 800 people. South Africa expects more than 400000 visitors for the June 11-July 11 tournament. - Sapa-AP

X