Vukuza out to avenge defeat

THE eagerly awaited grudge fight between Manelisi Mbilase and Thando Vukuza will surpass their first clash, a bloody slugfest that took place at Westdriefontein mine in North West on October 24 last year.

THE eagerly awaited grudge fight between Manelisi Mbilase and Thando Vukuza will surpass their first clash, a bloody slugfest that took place at Westdriefontein mine in North West on October 24 last year.

This assertion was made yesterday by trainer Welsh Mnguni, who swore that the rematch at East London's Orient Theatre on July 24 will not go the scheduled 12 rounds.

That, he said, was because his charge, Vukuza, had been badly treated by the judges, who denied him victory and the glory of being crowned SA featherweight champion.

Vukuza overwhelmed Mbilase in all departments and knocked him down in rounds 10 and 12. But Mbilase walked away with the belt.

Two of the three would-be wise men declared a badly beaten Mbilase the winner by one and two margins while their colleague voted for Vukuza with a four-point gap.

"Either Mbilase falls or we fall," vowed Mnguni.

"We cannot trust our judges these days. Funny, they were doing a great job back then when they were not paid."

Mnguni said Mbilase was a confused boxer when he was with trainer Nick Durandt.

"He has left him for Welcome Ncita, and he will be more confused than before. We are not taking Mbilase for granted but we are out to show who we are."

Mbilase left Durandt simply because the latter denounced Mbilase's victory.

"A wrong man won," said Durandt live on national television last year.

X