Bryce Moon in fatal crash

Bafana Bafana star yesterday morning knocked down a domestic who later died after being refused admission at two hospitals.

While the woman did not have money to go to a private clinic the player, Bryce Moon, was rushed to the Morningside Medi-Clinic where he was treated for head injuries and later released.

Moon was also charged with culpable homicide after blood samples were taken from him at the clinic. Police are waiting for the results of the blood tests.

Moon was driving from a party organised by Bafana captain Aaron "Mbazo" Mokoena after the Confederation Cup final between Brazil and Unites States at Ellis Park on Sunday night.

The crash happened on the corner of Catherine and Grayston Drive roads in Sandton about 6am.

The woman, Mavis Ncube, 25, died at Morningside Clinic shortly after she was rushed there by Netcare 911 officers.

Johannesburg Metro police spokesman Superintendant Wayne Mienaar confirmed the incident.

An eye witness who asked not to be identified said: "There were three people in the car and they appeared to smell of alcohol. Fortunately police were driving along the road and they stopped."

The eye witness said Moon was driving the Mercedes Benz when it lost control and hit Ncube who was walking to work.

Moon, 23, has 15 Bafana caps and plays for Panathanaikos in Greece. The Piermaritzburg-born defender played for Ajax Cape Town before his move abroad. He is a product of Transnet School of Excellence.

"Moon sustained head injuries that is why he was taken to hospital instead of the police station," said Mienaar.

Ncube of Tembisa sustained multiple injuries to her head, pelvis and lower limbs.

Ncube was initially rejected by "Charlotte Maxexe hospital - the closest to the scene of the accident - because the "emergency ward was already full with critical patients:.

"ER24 contacted the metro control to confirm which hospitals are open and available for critical patients. With this information, numerous hospitals were contacted and no hospital in the area could accept the patient."

A second ambulance was sent to the scene just before 7.50am, almost an hour-and-a-half after the accident occurred.

The paramedics then arranged for the patient to be stabilised at Morningside MediClinic, a private hospital.

The hospital's spokeswoman Monica Smith declined to say what time Ncube was admitted.

Gauteng health spokesman Mandla Sidu confirmed that the woman was turned away by two state hospitals.

"We are still gathering information as to why she was turned away," said Sidu.

"We are trying to ascertain if it had anything to do with the doctors' strike," he added, referring to an ongoing illegal strike by some state doctors protesting against low salaries and poor working conditions.

He said the health department would issue a statement later on Monday.