Cops nab 'off-ramp mugger'
The man allegedly linked to nine smash-and-grab attacks at the Corlett Drive off-ramp in Johannesburg's northern suburbs has finally been caught.
The suspect has terrorised motorists since February last year. Though he has been linked to nine cases, the police believe more motorists were involved.
Bramley police spokesperson Inspector Moses Maphakela said the man was arrested on Tuesday shortly after he and his accomplice, who managed to escape arrest, had robbed yet another motorist.
Maphakela said: "The police received an anonymous call and followed up on the information.
"They rushed to the area but the two men had already smashed a vehicle and stolen the motorist's handbag."
He said the man was arrested on the spot. "He has been giving us a headache for a long time," Maphakela said.
"We urge anyone who has been robbed to come forward. We will arrange an identity parade."
The suspect is expected to appear in the Wynberg magistrate's court tomorrow on charges of armed robbery.