Court building catches fire

A man was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at the Master of the High Court building in Pretoria yesterday.

A man was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at the Master of the High Court building in Pretoria yesterday.

Employees of the departments of Justice and Correctional Services were evacuated from the eight-storey Church Street building in the city centre shortly before noon yesterday.

While smoke could still be seen through the windows of the building, Tshwane emergency services spokesperson Johan Pieterse confirmed that the fire had been extinguished.

"It was just a small storeroom that was on fire and it was extinguished."

He said the fire brigade had responded merely to monitor the situation, adding that one man was treated for smoke inhalation. - Sapa

X