Metrobus strike talks take new turn
The Metrobus strike negotiations took a new turn last night when management failed to agree to a proposal suggested by mediator Meshack Ravuku on Wednesday.
Ravuku had given both Samwu and Metrobus a proposal to look at. "We are stranded here at Thuso House.
We are supposed to have signed the agreement but management is dilly-darling," said Samwu spokesperson Dumisani Langa.
He said that the union had accepted the mediator's proposal to solve salary progression issue but management was reluctant to sign a settlement.
"We came here with high hopes that strike would end today but we are disappointed that management is not prepared to move forward," he said.
Metrobus spokesperson Kenneth Kutu said: "We have a budget constraints. It is not that we did not consider the mediator's proposal."
Kutu said they were exploring all avenues to solicit extra funds.
"I am happy that we are not deadlocked. Negotiations are continuing," he said.
Metrobus drivers downed tools on Tuesday last week demanding salary progression structure to be revisited.
Thousands of commuters have been left stranded by the strike. About 600 bus drivers and at least 300 support staff downed tools on Tuesday last week.