handi 'will get it right'
Cynics will eat humble pie when Mamali Productions presents the IBF mini flyweight title eliminator between Nkosinathi Joyi and Florante Condes at the Orient Theatre in East London on July 12, warned promoter S'Phatho Handi this week.
"All will go according to the book. We proved beyond any reasonable doubt last year that we are capable of staging bigger events," he said.
Handi was reacting to a question regarding his blunder last year when he did not deposit purse monies for the fighters in a tournament he was staging, within the required period of 14 days.
That tournament was supposed to take place on November 10 but instead happened the next day.
Three Argentinian fighters, who were pencilled down to fight against Joyi, Lubabalo Msuthu and Ludumo Galada refused to make their way to the ring. Fight fans became violent, raiding the ring while others threw missiles.
"Promoters have cancelled tournaments at the eleventh hour before. Despite a sponsor pulling out from my tournament, I took money from my pockets and went ahead with the tournament, which was a success," Handi said.
His charge, Joyi, is undefeated after 19 fights with 15 knockouts and is rated third by the IBF while Condes from Philippines, who has 23 wins (20 KOs), is a spot below Joyi.
Joyi holds the IBO belt he won under Rodney Berman in 2006. Handi, who promoted Joyi's three defences, gave credit to the IBO for giving his charge the platform to shine.
"But accolades must go to Branco Milenkovic whose connections saw Joyi get a rating with the IBF."