'I was not part of any Zuma conspiracy'

Former National Prosecuting Authority head Bulelani Ngcuka has denied any complicity in a political conspiracy against ANC president Jacob Zuma.

Former National Prosecuting Authority head Bulelani Ngcuka has denied any complicity in a political conspiracy against ANC president Jacob Zuma.

"I have not been party to any conspiracy to frustrate the political ambition of Mr Zuma to ascend the highest office in the land.

"As mentioned previously, in my capacity as national director of public prosecutions, I had the opportunity to prosecute Mr Zuma.

"I did not," Ngcuka said yesterday.

On Monday the NPA fingered Ngcuka and former Scorpion head Leonard McCarthy as having tampered with the prosecution of Zuma -- driven by political motives.

It is believed that the two were trying to assist former president Thabo Mbeki in his ANC leadership tussle with Zuma in 2007.

Ngcuka refused to comment specifically on the "spy tapes", the transcripts of which acting national director of public prosecutions Mokotedi Mpshe quoted on Monday to substantiate his decision to withdraw the charges against Zuma.

Ngcuka also questioned the fact that the NPA had added comments onto the recordings to substantiate its allegations.

"It is my considered view that with the above disclaimers on the part of the NPA, it would be untenable to make any statement in response to allegations made arising from what are selective transcripts of recordings," Ngcuka said.

However, Ngcuka's comments seem not to hold water with the South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (Satawu). The transport union has called for his axing from the Transnet board.

Satawu general secretary Randall Howard said the NPA had "exposed Ngcuka as a dishonest person without a shred of integrity, who sold his soul for all manner of rewards, including his position on the Transnet board". - Political staff

X