Semenya says she is not joining Cope
Former ANC Women's League chairperson in Limpopo Machwene Semenya yesterday dismissed reports that she was planning to join the Congress of the People as was widely claimed.
She said she was neither on Cope's list of candidates, provincially or nationally.
Semenya was reacting to rumours that she was moving to Cope following the dismissal of perceived supporters of outgoing premier Sello Moloto, who was dismissed by the ANC on Friday.
Prior to the ANC provincial conference in Venda in July last year, Semenya defied the call by the provincial ANC Women's League to back Cassel Mathale as new chairperson, but instead backed Moloto.
"I'm not a member of Cope, nor was I approached to serve in their party," Semenya said yesterday.
She said she would take part in this year's elections as a member and volunteer of theANC.
She would also work "tirelessly" as she had done for the ANC during national and provincial elections, Semenya said.