More cholera deaths
Two more cholera deaths have been recorded in Limpopo.
This brings to 23 the total number of deaths in the province since the outbreak of the disease last year.
The two latest deaths were confirmed by spokesman for the provincial department of health and social development Phuti Seloba.
He said a 49-year-old woman died on February 11 while a 13-year-old boy died a day later.
Seloba said there were other suspected deaths that were still under investigation. He said they were still awaiting laboratory results for those cases.
The latest statistics bring to 4459 the number of cholera cases that had been attended to by the department. The province reported 50 new cases late yesterday, Seloba said.
Capricorn still topped the list with 24 new cases reported by the Botlokwa, Helene Franz and WF Knobel hospitals.
The Vhembe district has recorded three, Sekhukhune 12, Mopani three while the Waterberg recorded eight new cases at the weekend.
Seloba refuted claims that the number of people contracting the disease was declining.
"We have realised that people wait for a family member to contract the disease before taking necessary precautions to avoid contracting the disease themselves," Seloba said.
"We are very concerned about the behaviour of local communities. This is a deadly disease and can leave people without relatives if left unchecked or proper care is not exercised."