The R18m plan to stem cholera tide
The Greater Sekhukhune district municipality in Limpopo announced yesterday that it had put aside R18,5million to deal with the district's cholera outbreak.
Since December 12 last year the district's hospitals in Dilokong, Jane Furse and Mecklenburg have admitted more than 200 patients suffering from the deadly disease.
The plan, according to the municipality's mayor, Namane Masemola, pictured, entails intensifying efforts to provide clean water and fighting the spread of the disease by repairing all water infrastructure in the area.
He said the municipality would continue to supply water to areas without proper infrastructure by using tankers.
The municipality would also conduct awareness campaigns throughout the district and double its efforts to ensure the continued supply of good quality water to areas not yet affected by cholera.
He said the municipality planned to source further funds to upgrade waste-water treatment plants.
The interruption of the supply of clean water to Sekhukhune households was "mostly due to the theft of machinery that pump water to reservoirs", he said.
On Tuesday Masemola met the provincial department of health, the Red Cross and other stakeholders in Praktiseer, near Burgersfort, to discuss curbing the spread of cholera in the district.
He said stakeholders should try to come up with ways to stop the theft of water machines and other infrastructure in the area.
"We further urge councillors to visit schools to make children aware of preventing the spread of cholera," he said.