union takes SABC to court
The National Teachers Union is taking the SABC to court over alleged defamatory statements made by an Ukhozi FM Current Affairs presenter.
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago confirmed yesterday that the SABC had received a defamation complaint from Natu earlier this year.
He said the "clip in question" was checked and nothing defamatory was found.
"Though we informed Natu about our findings, they have decided to take the court route. I cannot say anything further as we will defend the matter in court," Kganyago said.
The union claims that the presenter of the show, Abasiki Bebunda, allegedly said it was common knowledge that Natu was in alliance with the IFP.
According to the court papers by the union's lawyers, Knight Turner, sent to the SABC on August 19, the union is demanding that the SABC and the presenter broadcast a retraction of the "defamatory statement", coupled with an apology to SABC listeners for a period of one month on Ukhozi FM and send a written apology to Natu.
Natu deputy president Allen Thompson claims in the papers that in a separate incident he was allegedly also prevented from taking part in a public debate.
He said listeners were invited to participate in a discussion about phasing out the outcomes based education (OBE) and alleges that the "same presenter dropped the call" after he [Thompson] introduced himself live on air.