Cholera ravaging Zim border
A 54-year-old man died from cholera on Monday afternoon, a day after being admitted to the Messina Hospital.
The dead man was South African and his death brings to seven the number of people in Limpopo who have died from the disease.
Two other South Africans have succumbed to cholera recently .
The other four victims were Zimbabweans.
The latest victim died after being admitted to the male tent that was erected to assist patients promptly at the institution. He had been transferred from the Madimbo clinic.
He went to the clinic after allegedly contracting the virus while visiting the Takalani Ramabulana farm a day before he became ill.
The latest developments indicate the disease is increasingly ravaging communities near the border between Zimbabwe and South Africa.
The disease was first diagnosed in Zimbabwe on November 15 and most of the victims were from that country.
The department of health and social development said it was still unclear whether the deceased had visited Zimbabwe or not.
Department of health spokesman Phuti Seloba yesterday said: "We are saddened that while we are doing our best to put the cholera disease under control, a valuable life has been lost."
He said sporadic cases were being reported at other hospitals in the province.
Yesterday alone the department recorded 39 new cases of cholera at various hospitals.
Seloba said they had dealt with 438 cases since the outbreak of the disease.
Meanwhile Sapa-AFP reports that in Zimbabwe, the death toll from the epidemic is nearly 500.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) said in its latest toll, that 483 people were now known to have died from the water-borne disease.
The most affected region was Budirio.