2010 cup safety 'assured'
The South African Police Service will spend R640million to deploy 41000 officers for the 2010 World Cup finals.
This was said by Deputy Minister of Safety and Security Susan Shabangu at a media briefing at Ellis Park Stadium on Saturday.
Of the 41000 police officers who will be on duty during the tournament, 31000 are to be permanently employed, with 10000 working as reservists.
Shabangu said the SAPS had already purchased some of the hi-tech equipment needed to ensure the safety of supporters and visitors in 2010.
"We have already bought new helicopters, water cannon, mobile command vehicles, body armour and other resources for crowd management as well as hi-tech bomb disposal equipment."
In addition, the other 31 countries taking part in the World Cup will also send their own trained officers to assist with language and cultural differences.
Shabangu said South Africa was also working closely with major international security agencies to gather intelligence.
As part of the World Cup preparations the SAPS has been conducting simulated exercises to prepare for any eventuality during the tournament.
Joint security forces have undertaken several simulations and training exercises to hone their skills.
These included air and maritime defence, chemical, biological, radioactive and nuclear simulations exercises in Cape Town, Pretoria, Port Elizabeth and Bloemfontein.