Reservist who was dedicated to his work

Dan Fuphe

Dan Fuphe

The death of reservist Hezekiel Fankie Malimela of the Etwatwa police station is a grim reminder of the escalating carnage on South African roads.

The SAPS was his second home. Malimela, 41, was born in Daveyton on May 16 1967.

He started his schooling at Siphumelele Primary School and matriculated at Lesiba Secondary School.

He enlisted as a police reservist in 1998 and was deployed to Etwatwa police station in 2002.

Here, according to those who were close to him, was where he took everything that was thrown at him with dedication.

Paying tribute to Malimela this week, Captain Rovictor Roberts said no job was too small for Malimela, who met his death in a road accident while travelling with two colleagues on the N12 west freeway on Tuesday last week.

Also killed was Gladys Maseko, a Grade 12 pupil who was "adopted" by the station's communications department after her passionate plea for help when she was arrested for being in possession of a bottle of whisky during a police raid on her school in June this year.

"Though Malimela was transferred to the Gauteng provincial crime prevention unit last year, he always responded to our call for help at weekends when the need arose," Roberts said.

"He did this with great enthusiasm and pride.

"No amount of words can describe the pain and void he and the others have left."

Malimela, Constable Mabote Motopi and reservist Inspector Octavia Zwane will be buried at a joint funeral at Lala Ngoxolo Cemetery tomorrow.

The service starts at 7am.

l Meanwhile, Zwane, 31, was yesterday described as the "engine of the station and mother hen" to all those who visited the Etwatwa police client service centre on a regular basis.

Born at Boksburg-Benoni Hospital on October 30 1977, Zwane started school at Inkosiphile Primary in the former KwaNdelebe homeland.

She completed her secondary education at Dr Harry Gwala Comprehensive School in Etwatwa.

In 1999 she enrolled at the Isidingo Campus in Daveyton.

In 2000 she joined the Etwatwa police as a reservist sergeant and was soon promoted to the rank of inspector because of her hard work and willingness to serve.

She is survived by her parents, four brothers and sisters.