Sowetan dismays Chikane

It was with regret and disappointment to see the headline in Sowetan of October 3, boldly stating that "Chikane follows Mbeki".

It was with regret and disappointment to see the headline in Sowetan of October 3, boldly stating that "Chikane follows Mbeki".

This after I had briefed the media on the presidency processes concerning contract appointments at the launch of the annual report on October 2.

I reiterated then that the ending of my contract was not a political decision and I painstakingly explained this matter to ensure that journalists got their facts right. I also said that the issue of my contract was still under discussion with President Kgalema Motlanthe.

My contract was renewed last year, with the understanding that it would come to an end in October this year. I told members of the press that I had expressed readiness to step down to the former president.

I am the longest-serving director-general in government and had served with commitment not to an individual, but to the country. Based on the above, it was with shock to see your newspaper headline claiming that I am following former president Thabo Mbeki.

Currently, I am engaged in discussions with Motlanthe on this matter and we have not as yet concluded them.

As soon as the president and I come to a decision on the matter of my contract, I will inform members of the media. In the meantime I ask you to hold off with the speculation.

Frank Chikane, director-general in the Presidency

X