swallows soar

Meshack Khotha

Meshack Khotha

Moroka Swallows flew high with pride when they overpowered a hapless Kaizer Chiefs 2-0 in a thrilling Absa Premiership match at Olympia Park Stadium yesterday.

Amakhosi's defeat was orchestrated by their former player David Radebe, who ran all over his old club from the first whistle. Swallows midfielder Cecil Oerson played an outstanding role in the midfield. Chiefs' rearguard of Mokete Tsotetsi and company could not contain the rampant Swallows attack, lead by the burgeoning Radebe.

Swallows deservedly took the lead in the 22nd minute when the roving Radebe released a ball to Cecil Oerson, who cleverly set up Phumelele "Ace" Bhengu.

It was Bengu's first goal in the professional rank. The Birds almost added the second a minute later but midfielder Lefa Tsutsulupa's tame shot just outside Chiefs' danger zone went astray, with Itumeleng Khune at sea.

Khune was lucky not to have been sent off by referee Jonas Nhlapo after he kicked Morgan Shivambu earlier in the game.

Bengu doubled the score when he beat Khune with a powerful shot in the 32nd minute, thanks to Radebe's back-heel.

The speedy forward capitalised on a blunder by Khune, who failed to handle Oerson's free-kick. Chiefs made a double substitution in the second half when they brought on Gert Schalkwyk and Arthur Zwane for Valery Nahayo and David Mathebula to fortify the squad.

Tsutsulupa was unlucky not to have scored when his powerful shot from close range hit the upright.

As the game progressed, Chiefs slowly unlocked Swallows' defence with quick passes, but failed in front of goal.

In the 54th minute, Zwane's cross was connected by the unmarked Schalkwyk, whose header was courageously fisted over the crossbar by Greg Etafia.

l Free State Stars recorded their first Absa Premiership win when they defeated Bay United in a five-goal thriller, winning 3-2, at Welkom Stadium, reports Thabo Johnson.

Diyo Sibisi opened the scoring for Stars, and Sthembiso Ngcobo made it 2-0 with a header in the 49th minute. Sibisi registered his second goal in the 84th minute.

The Port Elizabeth side scored through Abayone Adebayor (55th) and Lenos Chalwe (85th).

l In KZN, SuperSport United beat Thanda Royal Zulu 2-1 at Mpumalanga Stadium yesterday.