Expert describes how Netshisaulu died

Dudu Busani

Dudu Busani

A senior forensic analyst described in detail in the Johannesburg high court yesterday how Avhatakali Netshisaulu, the son of City Press editor, died.

Dhanasagree Govender, a forensic expert, tested Netshisaulu's remains for carbon monoxide and found a 71percent contamination.

Govender said an average living human being has 5percent carbon monoxide in their body.

She confirmed that Netshisaulu was still alive when he was burnt in the boot of his car.

Netshisaulu's wife, Mulalo Sivhidzho, and two co-accused, Ntabudzeni Matsenene and Arnold Sello, are accused of plotting his murder.

The trial will resume on Thursday to allow the defence team to review submissions.

At the beginning of the trial Matsenene objected to several submissions, including one that said it was Netshisaulu's body that was found in the boot of the car.

State advocate Maro Papachristoforou said the trial proceedings could take up to six months.

She said there was a possibility of six trials-within-a-trial, including one that would determine whether confessions made by Sivhidzho and Matsenene after their arrests can be used as admissible evidence during the trial.

All three accused have pleaded not guilty to murder.

Netshisaulu was hijacked, beaten up, robbed, tied up and locked up in the boot of his car before it was set alight.