dead mom identified

TRAGIC DEATH: Ayanda Kolman
TRAGIC DEATH: Ayanda Kolman

Penwell Dlamini

Penwell Dlamini

The last victim of the horrific accident that claimed seven lives on Main Reef Road last week has been identified as Ayanda Kolman, 21.

Kolman and six other people were killed in the early hours of Monday when two cars were involved in a head-on collision near Creswell in Roodepoort.

At the weekend Kolman's aunt, Sindiswa Kolman of Kagiso, spoke about how the outgoing young mother had spent two days at home with her 8-month-old daughter. It was as if she had a premonition.

"On Saturday Ayanda took back all the things that belonged to her friends but we did not suspect anything," her aunt Sindiswa said.

She told Sowetan that a day before her death Ayanda had spent the whole day at home, just holding and playing with her daughter Nomfundo.

"Ayanda left in the evening to visit a friend. That was the last I saw of her."

She only heard about Ayanda's death on Tuesday from her son Thabiso after Ayanda's friend had broken the news that she and six other people had been killed in an accident.

Ayanda was in a bakkie that was involved in a head-on collision with a sedan. She and the other two occupants were believed to have been coming from a stokvel party in Kagiso when the accident happened. The driver of the bakkie, Sipho Xaba, 21, and another passenger, Sibusiso Khumalo, 26, also died in the accident.

Nonhlanhla Nkosi, 35, also died in the crash but her daughter Nomathemba, 12, survived though both her legs were broken.

She and the four other occupants of the sedan were returning from Vryheid, KwaZulu-Natal, where a traditional ceremony had been held for Thokozani Maduma, Nonhlanhla's husband who died a month ago.

The driver of the sedan, who was only identified as Vilakazi, Sibusiso Maduma and her sister Mpumi Maduma all died in the accident, while their brother Vin Maduma remains in a critical condition in the Chris Hani-Baragwanath Hospital.

Johannesburg emergency service spokesman Percy Morokane said Vin Maduna had to be flown by helicopter from the scene to the hospital.

Police are investigating a case of culpable homicide.