Granny slain in 'revenge attack'

Mhlaba Memela

Mhlaba Memela

Residents of Ntandabantu Reserve in Mtubatuba are still reeling with shock after a 58-year-old granny and her 27-year-old grandson were brutally murdered by unknown gunmen.

Thembekile Nxumalo and her grandson Sifiso Nxumalo were shot dead while relaxing in their home in northern Zululand at the weekend.

It is alleged that the assailants entered Nxumalo's house and opened fire on and wounded a 13-year-old girl who was in the kitchen with a toddler.

They moved to another room where Nxumalo and her grandson were relaxing and shot them dead.

Police spokesman Jabulani Mdletshe said the girl was shot in the hand.

"The girl said the suspects entered their home without saying anything and just opened fire," Mdletshe said.

"They went to another room and found Nxumalo and her grandson. They shot them without saying a word."

Nxumalo's neighbour, who asked not to be named, said they were astonished by the gruesome murder of the woman.

"When I heard about the incident I personally went there and there she was with a young man in a pool of blood," the neighbour said. "It was a sad moment. The little children did not understand what was going on."

Community members believe it was a revenge attack.

It is alleged that Nxumalo's sons had been terrorising the community for a long time.

A source told Sowetan that Nxumalo's sons had attacked and killed a man in a nearby area in June.

The dead man used to serve on the council of late Inkosi Minus Mkhwanazi as a headman.

He was allegedly suspended after residents complained that Nxumalo had failed to discipline his children, who were allegedly involved in criminal activities in last year.

Ward councillor Qhina Mkhwanazi expressed shock.

"I received calls from the community complaining about sporadic gunfire on Saturday," Mkhwanazi said

"They were afraid of being attacked since there is an ongoing faction fight in a nearby area. I alerted headman Micheal Mdletshe and police."

Mkhwanazi said they had heard that an unknown vehicle was seen parked near Nxumalo's home before the attack.

"It's sad that the woman was killed but we must thank God that the assailants spared the little children's souls," he said.

Mdletshe said the motive of the killing was still unknown. The police were probing two murder cases.