FAMILY LEFT WITH NOTHING AFTER FIRE
The disaster management committee of Limpopo's Tzaneen municipality yesterday came to the rescue of the Notwane family of Moleketla village in Bolobedu by donating various items after their house burnt down last Sunday.
The donation follows an intervention by ward councillor Masilo Maloko, who urged the committee to help the family.
The donation included five mattresses, five blankets and groceries.
Family spokesman Gloria Notwane said the fire started at about midnight on Sunday and destroyed everything the family had in the two-roomed house.
There was no one in the house when the fire started since the children who were left there had gone out for the night.
According to Notwane she was in Seshego, near Polokwane, while her mother was in Phalaborwa.
She said they suspected the fire might have been started by a thug who broke into the house and stole valuables. But she could not rule out the possibility that her mentally ill cousin was to blame.
She said she and her cousin were not on good terms since she evicted him from his shack in the backyard. He was no longer friendly with any of the family members.
"We were lucky that the other four children did not sleep in the house that night," Notwane said. Meanwhile, police officers who were at the scene said the fire might have been caused by an electrical fault.
Damage caused by the fire is estimated at more than R40000.
Captain Simon Shikwambana confirmed that a case of arson was being investigated but said no arrest had been made.