SABC is still gunning for Mpofu
SABC group chief executive officer Dali Mpofu, pictured, might have won the first round in court this week, but he is not out of the woods yet.
Soon after the Johannesburg high court ruled Mpofu's suspension by the SABC board unlawful, the board met later in the day and decided they would appeal against the court ruling.
"The SABC board convened an urgent meeting yesterday (Monday) afternoon to consider the judgment. After careful study of the judgment, the board identified areas of concern that we believe can only be clarified through the legal process.
"The board has therefore decided to lodge an appeal today," said SABC board chairman Khanyi Mkhonza.
Mkhonza also stressed that they would, despite the appeal process, continue investigating what she called "serious allegations" into Mpofu's conduct.
She said the allegations included Mpofu's "refusal to implement decisions of the board".
"We respect the process of law and will endeavour to follow this process in dealing with matters stated within the judgment. We, however, remain convinced that Mpofu should respond to issues that we have raised so that the investigation can be brought to finality as speedily as possible."
However, Mpofu's defence team said yesterday that they "had not received any papers" from the SABC. "They still have to apply for leave to appeal from the judge. So far we have not received anything from them," said instructing attorney Sandile July.
When Sowetan contacted Mpofu yesterday he said he would rather not comment. "I'll deal with it [board's appeal] when the application is made in court. Otherwise, being back at work is good."
Mpofu was suspended on May 6, only hours after he had suspended SABC head of news Snuki Zikalala for, as claimed by Mpofu, leaking information to the media.
Zikalala is said to be suing the SABC after his suspension. However, SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said he had no knowledge of the intended lawsuit.