pRIZE MONEY ELUDES mENZI
It's been close to two months since Menzi Ngubane won the overall Stars of Mzansi prize but he is still waiting for his R1million cheque.
He was crowned overall Star of Mzansi at a glittering event held in the State Theatre in Pretoria.
Of the R1million top prize, Ngubane was supposed to pocket R500000, but he is still waiting. The other half was to be donated to five charities of his choice, each receiving R100000.
A source close to Ngubane told Sowetan yesterday that Ngubane, who married his fianc ee Palesa Sedibe on Saturday, was still waiting for the cash.
"He told me that the organisers were sending him from pillar to post," the source said.
"It is very embarrassing that a highly publicised event such as this can be so clumsy.
"Why are they keeping his money?"
Last month Ngubane told that he was living in fear after receiving strange phone calls from strangers who were demanding a share of the prize money.
They even threatened to kill him if he did not pay up.
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago yesterday confirmed that Ngubane had not yet received the money.
"He knows that we are still finalising the payment," Kganyago said. "There are processes that have to be followed. I do not know when he will get the money."
Kganyago said Ngubane had not timeously given them the names of the charity organisations that would share half of his prize money.
"We are still busy verifying the authenticity of the charity organisations he has given us." he said.
"We are also busy with the tax issues. He will not get all the money as some of it will go to the taxman."