Two die after eating ritual meat

Namhla Tshisela

Namhla Tshisela

Two people have died and several others became ill after eating contaminated goat meat at a traditional ceremony in Soweto during the Easter weekend.

Lucas Khaba and Mlindi Mbatha, both aged 50, died on March 28, a week after consuming the meat at an imbeleko performed in Zola North on Good Friday.

An imbeleko is a ritual performed after a baby is born to introduce the child to its ancestors.

Those who ate the meat complained of diarrhoea, vomiting and muscle cramps that lasted for several days.

They also told Sowetan that one of the three animals that were sacrificed in the ritual was sick. Its internal organs were removed and thrown away as a safety precaution.

Sowetan could not speak to the Gumbi family, who allegedly made the sacrifice.

The gate of their house was locked and Sowetan was informed that "the family lived in the suburbs and only returned to the house for funerals and family rituals".

Mbatha and Khaba died in hospital after being admitted for diarrhoea and vomiting.

X