Soul Brother lead 'pointed firearm'

Sibongile Mashaba

Sibongile Mashaba

David Masondo, lead singer of popular mbaqanga duo Soul Brothers, assaulted his wife Nomsa and pointed a firearm at her because she would not allow a sangoma to perform a ritual on her.

Giving evidence at the Protea magistrates' court yesterday Nomsa said her husband assaulted her a day after she had spurned his efforts to involve her in the ritual.

She had left their home in Mofolo, Soweto, after an argument and spent the night at her sister-in-law's house in Winchester Hills, Johannesburg south.

She returned home the following day to a fuming Masondo, who threw a plastic water bottle at her that hit her left shoulder.

Masondo is facing two counts of intimidation, one of pointing a firearm, another of pointing an object that looked like a firearm and two of failing to lock away his firearms.

Masondo has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

He has a 9mm pistol, which is kept in a drawer next to the bed, and an assault rifle that is stored under the bed.

In her evidence Nomsa said Masondo left for Durban with their two children Amanda, 17, and Mbuso, 15.

When they came home on January 9 they were accompanied by a sangoma from Kwandengezi in KwaZulu-Natal.

The sangoma was to perform a ritual on her "because she was the only one left". The sangoma would use a razor to mark her all over the body and then cover the marks with muti.

"I refused because I did not know why the ritual was to be performed," she testified. "I could not understand why I had to do it. I had had enough.

"My husband was angered by my refusal. He did not seem to understand when I told him that I would not allow the sangoma to mark me.

"My husband told me that I was delaying things. He threatened to throw me out and I believed him because he had done that a hundred times before after using drugs."

Masondo and his wife had signed an agreement that no man would be in Masondo's cars when his wife was driving, no man would speak to her at their gate and she would not sleep away from home without his knowledge.

She told the court she had signed the agreement because she wanted to prove her innocence.

It took Nomsa Masondo almost a month to open a case against her husband because she was afraid she wouldn't have anywhere else to go.

The trial continues in May.