Cops nab more than 300

McKeed Kotlolo

McKeed Kotlolo

More than 300 people, including two who allegedly robbed and raped a male hostel dweller, were arrested in Tembisa, Ekurhuleni, since the start of the Easter holidays.

Police spokesman Manyadza Ralidzhivha said the Easter weekend police operation netted 322 people for various crimes in Tembisa.

The majority were arrested for public drinking and robberies.

Among the serious cases were that of a 27-year-old Sethokga Hostel resident who was forcibly woken up by two men at about 1am on Friday.

They allegedly demanded that he buy liquor for them. When he refused they robbed him of cash.

They also demanded that he accompany them to their room and threatened him with a knife.

"On arrival at their room he refused to undress and the men again threatened to stab him with a knife," Ralidzhivha said.

"One of them allegedly stripped him of his clothes and they then took turns raping him. The victim later managed to escape."

The matter was reported to the police, who pounced on the two men, both aged 33, while they were still sleeping.

They are due to appear in the Tembisa magistrate's court today on charges of robbery and rape.

In another incident Tembisa police acted swiftly to arrest six men aged between 19 and 23 in Entsonalanga Section, three streets away from where they had committed a house robbery.

A 20-year-old female complainant told the police that she was at home with her relatives on Thursday at about 7pm when the youths forced their way into the house.

They allegedly threatened the occupants with guns, ransacked the house and stole a DVD player, other valuables and cash.

Ralidzhivha said the police responded quickly to the complaint and arrested the youths before they got very far with the loot.

"They were arrested three streets away from scene of the robbery," he said.

"But there was no trace of the firearms they had allegedly used in the robbery."

They, too, will appear in the local magistrate's court today.

l In another case a teenager, armed with an allegedly stolen firearm, was arrested after opening fire on a police patrol van at Umthambeka Section on Saturday evening.

The police were busy with a stop and search operation when they spotted a group of suspicious-looking people. When they approached them one fired at the police.

The youths fled in different directions but the police pursued the one of them. When he realised the police were gaining on him he fired at them until.

He is due to appear in the local magistrate's court today.