SAHRC to debate 'FBJ exclusion'
The SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) will hold a public forum on complaints of racial prejudice against the Forum of Black Journalists and the issue of exclusive organisations.
This follows the banning of white journalists from attending a re-launch of the FBJ last week.
The re-launch was addressed by ANC president Jacob Zuma.
The seminar to debate the relevance of exclusive organisations will be held at the SAHRC offices in Parktown next Wednesday from 9am.
"This will provide the commission with an opportunity to engage publicly with all interested parties.
"The issues are not just legal, they have social and political implications," said SAHRC spokesman Vincent Moaga.
He said an invitation had been extended to the Black Lawyers Association, Prime Media and members of the public.
"We would like to know whether we still need exclusive organisations, are they still relevant?" Moaga asked.
FBJ leader Abbey Makoe yesterday said his organisation welcomed the SAHRC's initiative.
"We have agreed to participate because it is our considered view that the public will get an opportunity to listen to the merits and de-merits of arguments from all sides," said Makoe.
The Azanian People's Organization (Azapo) said yesterday that it welcomed the FBJ's re-launch.
"What is wrong when black people come together?" Azapo's Strike Thokoane asked.