Santos stun buccaneers

Thami Nqolobe

Thami Nqolobe

Determined Santos caused a major upset when they defeated Orlando Pirates 2-1 in a thrilling Premiership match at Athlone Stadium in Cape Town yesterday.

It was sweet revenge for the People's Team who were beaten 1-0 by Pirates in the first round in Johannesburg last August.

For Santos, it was their third consecutive victory in the second round after beating AmaZulu 3-2 and Moroka Swallows 4-1.

Yesterday's loss was Pirates' first in the second round after four matches.

Pirates were stunned in the 18th minute when Romano Scott's header hit the back of the net to easily beat goalie Senzo Meyiza.

In the 28th minute, Pirates central defender Tonic Chabalala connected a loose ball in Santos' penalty area, but ballooned the ball over the crossbar.

Fifteen minutes later, Bucs' Bennet Chenene could not believe his eyes when his attempt hit the side netting after being set free by Teko Modise.

Wayne Roberts, the home side's goalkeeper, denied his former employers an equaliser when he fisted Lucky Lekgwathi's header for a corner in the 44th minute.

Santos went further ahead in the 70th minute through Eleazar Rodgers, who converted a pass from Erwin Isaacs.

In the 89th minute, Pirates pulled one back through Paulos Masehe.

pirates' oach, Owen Da Gama, said: "I'm proud of my players, we played brilliant soccer. It's just that it was not our day but credit to Santos for the win."

Santos' mentor, David Bright, said: "We played well, I'm happy with the result. We are now in the second round, we need to get positive results."

l In Atteridgeville, Bidvest Wits redeemed their dented image when they pipped Mamelodi Sundowns 3-2at Super Stadium yesterday.

Wits were the better of the two with their interchanges and always gave the Brazilians some jitters when they were in possession.

Sundowns defender Vuyo Mere saw his back pass being intercepted by Brains Senokoane and scored in the 26th minute.

Downs equalised in the 33rd minute when Lerato Chabangu scored with a header from Brett Carelse's cross. Two minutes later, Wits striker Dale Studzinsky increased the margin from a pass by Senokoane. Senokoane increased the margin in the 74th minute. Sundowns reduced the deficit through Brian Aldave in the 88th minute.